Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Creeper

                                             Lire en français: Grimpereau brun

Last Saturday, Dec 14, the temperature was -24 (feels like -31 C) according to the weather network. After over an hour outside, it felt more like -40, which is probably why there was no one on the trail other than Gary and I and a few birds that were fluffing up their feathers to try to keep warm…

Black-capped Chickadee / Mésange à tête noire
South Porcupine (14 Dec 2013)

We were watching Chickadees and Nuthatches while trying to listen for some woodpeckers when I noticed a small thing crawling up a tree trunk near us.  It was moving steadily up the trunk in little bursts all the way to the top; I knew it had to be a Creeper.  When he flew back down to start his climb on the next tree trunk, I tried to get a decent picture.  Unfortunately, my camera was in direct competition with my fingers to see who would succumb to the cold first; they both gave up at the same time.  I only got this blurry photo, but it shows just how well the Brown Creeper is camouflaged… he basically looks like a piece of bark.  

Can you spot it?

Brown Creeper / Grimpereau Brun
South Porcupine (14 Dec 2013)

It's a lot of fun to watch their methodical climb when we're lucky enough to spot one.  They actually eat insects and spiders from the bark.

Here's a photo I took in April 2013… we can see its profile and curved bill.  

Brown Creeper / Grimpereau Brun
South Porcupine (25 April 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment