Monday, December 9, 2013

Pine Grosbeaks and Red-bellied Woodpecker

Weekend update…

Sunday, December 8, I saw the Red-bellied Woodpecker again.  He's been hanging around this South Porcupine neighbourhood (since at least the 22nd of November).  I find it surprising that he sticks around in spite of the freezing temperatures.  From what I've seen, he seems to like hanging around birch trees, especially the stumps where branches have been broken off.  (Although the first time I spotted it (Nov 22) it was in a thick spruce tree seeking shelter from heavy wind and snowfall.)   I managed to get this photo through my window yesterday.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
South Porcupine (December 8, 2013)

A beautiful photo of this Red-bellied Woodpecker was also featured Saturday on the Weather Network.

Pine Grosbeaks…
Saturday was a beautiful sunny day.  The temperature was -17°C,  -24°C with the wind.  Gary and I walked part of the Bart Thompson Trail at the end of Legion drive in South Porcupine where we saw Gray Jays, Black-capped Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches.  Near the start of the trail, I saw 4 Pine Grosbeaks (first sighting since last spring); they were flying from spruce tree to spruce tree, feeding on cones.   I managed to get only a couple of pictures.  I wish I could have kept my hands out of my mitts longer but after 30 seconds, I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. 

Pine Grosbeak
South Porcupine (Dec 7, 2013)
Pine Grosbeak
South Porcupine (Dec 7, 2013)


On Sunday, we ran into some very friendly Nuthatches down the trail...

Red-breasted Nuthatch
South Porcupine (Dec 8, 2013)

They would not come to me but they seemed to love Gary's thick gloves!








1 comment:

  1. I envy you your Pine Grosbeaks. I doubt that we will see any in southern Ontario this year.

    ReplyDelete